Pages

Friday, June 27, 2008

Characteristics of a great leader

I decided to do a study of leadership in the scriptures. I wanted to know what were the characteristics of a great leader. Afterall, if I am trying to give my children a "leadership" education, I need to set the example; I need to be a great leader, if I want my children to be great leaders. Here are the characteristics I identified in the great leaders of God's people...

A leader:
  • Fears God and follows His counsel
  • Is chosen by God before the foundation of the world
  • Seeks wisdom and understanding
  • Is humble and faithful
  • Treats everyone fairly and justly (no respecter of persons)
  • Is known by the people
  • Keeps passions in-line with the purpose
  • Speaks carefully
  • Forsakes ALL evil
  • Cleaves unto all good
  • Keeps the commandments
  • Encourages and teaches others to choose what is right
  • Makes it easier for others to follow God
  • Serves others - (to serve = voluntarily submit to another)
  • Does not hide from or avoid responsibility
  • Knows the people he/she leads - rejoices with them, suffers with them and loves them
  • Fasts and prays often
  • Teaches others to be leaders
  • Never gives up
That is quite a list! How can I gain all of these traits? On first glance it seems overwhelming. But as I studied the list, I realized that all of these traits are gained by doing one thing: following Christ. He exemplified all of these characteristics. As I strive to become more like Him, to follow His example, I will become the leader I desire to be. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."

No comments:

Post a Comment